Thursday, October 29, 2015

My Date with a Fruit

This guy really looks like a pear. I knew this second date wouldn’t work out but in the spirit of trying new things and proving (to myself) that I’m not superficial, I came despite having no initial attraction to him the first time we met. He’s such a nice guy – what’s his name again? It’s totally rude that I cannot remember and far too much correspondence at this point to admit I genuinely don't. What kind of person am I? I should really pay more attention to what he’s talking about, he looks so animated. I’m nodding, smiling and seem to be giving the appropriate responses since he continues to become more enthusiastic about the topic of conversation.


I noticed his head was quite pear shaped at our first coffee meeting. I label it a meeting and not a date since our source was an online dating site which removes the ability to connect with someone’s energy as you would in person. It’s likely had I initially met him in person, the encounter would not have led to a first date. Well why after meeting him then did I agree to see him again? Single, with my last (and only) long-term relationship ending many years ago, I’m mindful that perhaps I need to make some changes. Bitter women complain all men are the same, smart women stop choosing the same type over and over again.  I read that quote somewhere and it stuck with me. In that spirit here I am…on a date... with a giant, talking pear. He’s actually now fully turned into one in my imagination – his caramel colour skin tone has become a light green colour, his hair has disappeared and his glasses have double in-sized with huge, thick rims. I feel like I’m on an episode of Sesame Street with an animated talking fruit character. 

Back to what brought me here – I really want to romantically connect with a nice, stable, dependable man. I know some of you may think it's impossible but it has to be possible! People are in love all around me and perhaps it won't last forever, but for the moment, they are with partners who bring those qualities to the table. I recognize that instant attraction, butterflies in the stomach, heart beat racing have resulted in some interesting experiences but not in the committed, healthy, supportive relationship I seek. That being said, I thought it would be a productive step to overlook the lack of instant attraction and give him a second chance. I keep hearing from friends that sometimes relationships flourish overtime and attraction grows. The idea reminds me of gardening a plant and though I'm not sold on it, I thought I should at least try it.  

I thought this guy would be perfect to test this theory out on since he has a gentle demeanour, good height,  equivalent level of education and healthy relationship with his family (from what he told me at our first meeting). He is what many would describe as good on paper. Unfortunately, there’s a lack of witty connection, adventurous spirit and the hint of playfulness that I’m usually drawn to. I’ll have to sneak back on to this online profile to learn his name again and then of course delete him and end it. Pears have never appealed to me, I prefer mangos.  

Image from:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=pear+image+with+glasses&biw=1518&bih=714&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI4JPf5__yyAIVASA-Ch0opw0k&dpr=0.9#imgrc=7UIbxFQFhuElYM%3A

No comments:

Post a Comment