Wednesday, November 4, 2015

EL COMIDISTA


How could I prepare the best Tortilla de Patatas ever? How could I know which supermarket is currently selling the best bread? How could I be aware of the lasts news in gastronomy? For all the above questions I follow a blog called El Comidista.

It is my pleasure to introduce you this Spanish food blog created by Mikel López Iturriaga -a Basc journalist from Bilbao living in Barcelona since 2006. This blog is an amazing space where almost everything about food is accepted. Yesterday, for example, he did a post explaining how to prepare the best Tortilla de Patatas in a less than two and a half minutes video. It could seem another random video – such as the millions examples we have in Internet- but it wasn’t’. Mikel explained -while cooking- the advices that three famous Spanish chefs gave about the best way of cooking the dish. The mix of simple cooking and the professionalism doing it following the advices of famous chefs is one of the reasons why I liked the blog.

Another reason is the creativity he has. I like how he thinks about reports and topics avoiding the common ones. And I like how he also takes some of the common ones and treat them in a different way. When yesterday I saw the tortilla video posted I thought “buff, another tortilla video, really?” but after seeing it I thought the chefs opinion talking about a simple plate turned itself different, unique.

Another motive why I like this blog is because it is funny. I have laugh a lot reading some of his posts. I remember, for example, the great time I had at work four years ago reading with my colleagues a section called “Comida oviejuna”, a space where the blogger looks at the past and choses recipes, products, or culinary habits that have turned old fashion and comment about them. There is a post where he interviews The After Eight!  All the questions and answers he writes are hilarious!

El Comidista also has a consultancy section, a place where people ask questions such as “which one is the best cheese for preparing a homemade pizza?” or “what is the difference between white and brown eggs?” or “which one is the best brand of pots?” I liked it because you can find useful questions and answers and apply them in the kitchen daily. I admit it; I’m a super fan!


For all these reasons I think the blog El Comidista deserved to be here today. And also because it was the first blog I ever met. Indeed, I have to confess that I started reading it without knowing it was a blog itself, I thought it was another section of El País, a national Spanish newspaper. But as a result of its success, last September the blog that started some years ago in a corner of the newspaper website, opened its own site and hired its own team of writers that nowadays support and work with the founder.

1 comment:

  1. As both a reader and writer, it's inspiring to read that you became a loyal fan to the first blog you read.

    I appreciate the explanation of the different elements that are involved in this blog/website. It serves as a great reminder that blogging can be a stepping stone for further interaction or brand development - it sounds like they have really evolved with videos, question/answers and a lot of interaction with their readers.

    ReplyDelete