Sunday, November 1, 2015

NOLA


It’s the birthplace of Jazz, the mecca of Creole/French cuisine and one of the top wedding destinations in the U.S.  If you’ve never been to New Orleans, it is a place that you must visit.  From the melodious sounds heard drifting through the French Quarters, to the chilling tales told of lost souls & haunted mansions, there’s plenty to do in the city.  And, if you’re a foodie at heart, you will love some of the great treats in New Orleans. 

Over the last several days, I’ve eaten my way through the city, trying the many different flavours and dishes New Orleans has to offer - gumbo, fried crawfish tails, shrimp and fried alligator with chili garlic aoli.  I was a bit skeptical about the alligator, but I always like to try something once – it’s a rule of mine, and I’m so glad I took the plunge.

 
One of the best meals I had was at Emeril Lagasse’s restaurant, NOLA.  I ordered the Grilled Creekstone Farms New York Steak, which did not disappoint.  The steak was very tender, served with Yukon gold potatoes, shitake mushrooms and baby spinach.  The service was amazing, and the food was even better. Definitely, a must try!    

In terms of sweet goodies, pralines were plentiful in the New Orleans, but my favourite was the Beignets at Café du Monde – how can you go wrong with deep fried deliciousness smothered in powdered sugar?  It’s just not possible!  And if fruit is what you crave for dessert, you can always try the Bananas Foster at SoBou restaurant.  It comes with homemade vanilla bean ice cream with spiced pecan foster sauce – just delicious.

Although I enjoyed experimenting with the various culinary flavours of New Orleans, the highlight of my trip was attending one of my closest friend’s weddings and being able to experience the festivities in true New Orleans fashion.  The wedding took place in Preservation Hall, a venue that was once an art gallery that showcased jazz musicians in the 50s.  It was a cozy, beautiful ceremony, followed by a New Orleans tradition:  The Second Line. Handkerchiefs in hand, we paraded down the streets of New Orleans, following the beautiful sounds of a Traditional New Orleans Brass Band.  The bride and groom led the procession, each holding an umbrella, singing and dancing to the rhythm of “Hey baby, will you be my girl.”  It was quite the celebration, perfect for the couple that loves food, music and travel. 


No comments:

Post a Comment